Week 6 Assignment – Applying the IMPACT Model
You have been appointed by the chief of police to represent the police department in communicating with a newly formed civilian police oversight board. Board members have no law enforcement experience and are very vocal about defunding the police and potentially eliminating the police department entirely. They are concerned with a lack of information from the department when a use of force incident occurs.Using the IMPACT model, detail each of the six steps that you would use to establish communications with the board, address their concerns and emphasize the importance of law enforcement to the community. The chief and administration have committed to make changes in the department’s policies and training to include de-escalation, crisis intervention, and body cameras for all officers. Part of your mission is to communicate these changed to the new board while establishing trust and transparency.
Review the six steps of IMPACT Model from your textbook, Law Enforcement Interpersonal Communication and Conflict Management: The IMPACT Model:
- Identify and manage emotions.
- Master the story.
- Promote positive behavior.
- Achieve rapport.
- Control your response.
- Take perspective.
Using the IMPACT model, develop a 5–7 page plan for addressing the conflict with the civilian police oversight board, in which you:
- Define the conflict between the board and the police department.
- Use the IMPACT Model to address the conflict.
- Explain at least three initiatives that the department can incorporate to help resolve the conflict.
- Use five credible, relevant, and appropriate sources to support your writing. Cite each source listed on your source page at least once within your assignment. For help with research, writing, and citation, access the library or review library guides.
- You may use the two required textbooks, Law Enforcement Interpersonal Communication and Conflict Management and Community Policing Today, for two of your sources, but must provide at least three additional sources to support your selected initiatives.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Review strategies to improve discretionary decision-making